Boni Mchunu – Business is regarded as one of the most influential businesswomen in KZN. Boni is rapidly developing her national reputation as a businesswoman and is gaining recognition as businesswomen with integrity and drive, recently appointed by some reputable institutions and companies to sit on their boards.
A former employee to the following companies, ABSA, Unilever and tourism KZN, Boni took up the position as Station General Manager at East Coast Radio in 2015. Now available to book through Conference Speakers
Previously, she served Unilever for 6 years and Tourism KZN for 7 years. Her role at TKZN as GM for marketing involved positioning KZN as a prestigious business and leisure destination. She led key strategic projects including Tourism Indaba and bringing international airlines to KZN in order to grow both domestic and international tourists for KZN.
Before joining TKZN in 2007, Boni served in a Brand Management capacity at Unilever for six years, overseeing the marketing of key Unilever brands such as, Knorr, Rama, Stock, Ponds & Sunsilk. She holds a bachelor’s degree in marketing, a diploma in business management, a diploma in project management & executive leadership certificate from Wits and London Business school.
Boni Mchunu – Business was Born and raised in Pietermaritzburg by her dad, Boni is passionate about abut personal growth and women empowerment. She is passionate about KwaZulu-Natal and South African business. When away from the office, Boni relishes the time with her family. Her philosophy about leadership is, leadership is not about the tittle it is about influence and leading yourself to mastery in everything that you do. Leadership is about having a vision and leading the team to achieving it, importantly it’s about treating others like how you would like to be treated. Her values are based on respect for self and respect for others. Her daily motto is to be the best version of herself by constantly learning and evolving.
Boni’s career path
- 1998 – 2000: ABSA (Marketing officer)
- 2000 – 2007: Unilever South Africa (Brand management)
- 2007 – 2015: Tourism KZN (head of marketing the province KZN)
- 2015 – current: Kagiso Media (East Coast Radio – head of the station)
Professional board membership path
- 2013: Durban University of Technology (advisory board member for the business & commerce faculty)
- 2018: Old Mutual (Marriot Investment Boutique board member)
- 2019: First National Bank (Advisory board member for the KZN region)
- 2019: Durban University of Technology (DUT Foundation Independent Trustee)
Follow CSI on Twitter